Muhammad and the Spread of Islam
Guide: The Rise of Islam
This collection of resources provides a springboard for studying the rise of Islam in the seventh century CE. Defining figures and moments are explored through primary and secondary sources, including an in-depth look at the tenets of the Islamic faith and how these contributed to its spread through the Middle East. Use the Export to My Lists button above to turn this into a research list for your students.
Time Period Key Understandings
- Relatability and promise of a better life in religious traditions attract converts and followers
- Geography and previous cultural traditions impacted the spread of Islam
- The relationship between religion and government can impact empirical stability, growth, and success
- Dynastic rule can bring personal strife into governmental affairs
- Religious division or fragmentation occurs as religion spreads geographically and there are various interpretations of leadership, key text, and doctrines
- The relationship between religion and science changes over time
- Preservation of Greek, Roman, and Indian academic achievements is significant to the continuation and advancement of knowledge
- The religious identity of Spain impacts its empirical alignment and alliances throughout history
- Religious text and interpretation of religious text can lead to differences in the practice of the religion across time and space
- Strong bureaucratic systems positively impact the effectiveness of both civilizations and empires
- Religious conflict negatively impacts the rule of the governmental system in place
- Social stratification can lead to both stability and conflict
- How was the new religion of Islam different from the traditional religious beliefs found in Arabia? What kinds of responses did Muhammad receive when he first introduced Islam?
- What role did the city of Mecca play in Islam's early history? How has it remained important in Islam?
- How did Islam spread so quickly during its early years? How did Islam's sacred texts guide the beliefs and actions of new converts?
- Overview: The Rise of Islam
- Outline: Outline
- Transcript: Transcript
- Lesson: Introduction
- Lesson: 1-Muhammad and Birth of Islam
- Lesson: 2-Teachings of Islam
- Lesson: 3-Hijra
- Lesson: Closing
- Glossary Terms: Five Pillars of Islam
- Glossary Terms: Koran
- Photos & Illustrations: Mecca: Kaaba
- Reference Articles: Islam
- Reference Articles: Mecca
- Reference Articles: Badr, Battle of
- Biographies: Muhammad
- Cultural Documents: Koran: passage on Islamic tradition (ca. seventh century)
- Cultural Documents: Koran: passage on reward and punishment in the afterlife
"The Rise of Islam." History Hub, ABC-CLIO, 2019, historyhub.abc-clio.com/Search/Display/2158362. Accessed 17 Feb. 2019.
Entry ID: 2158362