The Classical Age
Guide: Greek Philosophy and Science
Ancient Greece was the birthplace of several important thinkers whose contributions to philosophy and science still influence their respective fields today. This collection provides students with resources to study the ideas and works of Socrates, Aristotle, Plato, and Hippocrates. Use the Export to My Lists button above to turn this into a research list for your students.
Time Period Key Understandings
- Geography impacts a civilization's ability to communicate and unify
- Centralization allows for culture to flourish and disseminate
- Oral history and tradition perpetuate cultural norms and religion
- Societal celebrations and norms can glorify and support warfare
- Political structure influences the economic stratification of a society
- Democratic systems value the rights and opinions of citizens
- Internal rivalry leads to competitive rather than collaborative systems
- Art and architecture depict society's values and histories
- Philosophy, or the love of wisdom, contributes to the betterment of society through academic research, reasoning, and discovery
- Strong leadership leads to success of political and military campaigns
- Cultural diffusion can lead to romanticism of past civilizations and culture
- How did the needs of public life help define the structure and focus of education in ancient Greece?
- How did Socrates encourage his students to seek the truth? Why was Socrates seen as a threat by some Athenians? How do Socrates's ideas continue to influence education today?
- How did Aristotle challenge the ideas of his teacher, Plato? How did their approaches to attaining knowledge differ?
- How did Greek philosophers make contributions to early science? Why were these contributions important even though their scientific ideas were often incorrect?
- Overview: Greek Philosophy and Science
- Outline: Outline
- Transcript: Transcript
- Lesson: Introduction
- Lesson: 1-Greek Philosophy and Education
- Lesson: 2-Socrates
- Lesson: 3-Plato
- Lesson: 4-Aristotle
- Lesson: Closing
- Photos & Illustrations: Greek medicine: relief of doctor examining boy
- Reference Articles: Greek Medicine
- Reference Articles: Greek Philosophy
- Biographies: Aristotle
- Biographies: Plato
- Biographies: Socrates
- Cultural Documents: Hippocrates: Case Studies
- Cultural Documents: Hippocratic Oath
"Greek Philosophy and Science." History Hub, ABC-CLIO, 2019, historyhub.abc-clio.com/Search/Display/2158360. Accessed 23 Aug. 2019.
Entry ID: 2158360