European Colonization, 1492-1752
Guide: Native Americans and Europeans
These resources provide insight into the early relationships and cultural exchanges between Native Americans and colonists. Use these resources to support your students' investigations into how cultural differences between Native Americans and Europeans affected their interactions. Use the Export to My Lists button above to turn this into a research list for your students.
Time Period Key Understandings
- New advancements in technology can produce widespread social, cultural, and political change
- Events can have multiple outcomes and include unintended consequences
- Powerful nations' ability to control wealth and resources increases their ability to influence other nations
- Cultural exchanges can occur intentionally and unintentionally
- A civilization's success and growth is largely dependent on geographical location
- Culture is the product of shared economic, religious, and political values
- Regional characteristics can influence people's perspectives
- How were the social organizations of the Native Americans and the colonists similar and different?
- In what ways did the Native American views on economy differ from colonists?
- How did cultural differences between Native Americans and Europeans affect their interactions?
- Overview: Native Americans and Europeans
- Outlines: Outline
- Lesson: Introduction
- Lesson: 1- Political Systems
- Lesson: 2-Economic Systems
- Lesson: 3-Social Systems
- Lesson: 4-Conflict with Europeans
- Lesson: Closing
- Photos & Illustrations: Eliot, John: preaches to Native Americans
- Facts & Figures: Native Americans: Probable Smallpox Epidemics, 1520-1797
- Reference Articles: Pequot War
- Reference Articles: Algonquin
- Reference Articles: Oneida Indians
- Reference Articles: Powhatan Confederacy
- Reference Articles: missions and missionaries
- Reference Articles: North American Smallpox Epidemic
- Reference Articles: Pequot
- Speeches: Pontiac: Reasons for Making War on the English speech (1763)
- Speeches: Powhatan: remarks to Capt. John Smith (ca. 1609)
"Native Americans and Europeans." History Hub, ABC-CLIO, 2019, historyhub.abc-clio.com/Search/Display/2153059. Accessed 15 Sept. 2019.
Entry ID: 2153059