European Colonization, 1492-1752
Guide: French and Dutch Settlement
These resources provide insight into the fur trade in the French and Dutch settlements. Use these resources to help students understand how the fur trade impacted settlement and cultural exchange among the different indigenous and European populations. Use the Export to My Lists button above to turn this into a research list for your students.
Time Period Key Understandings
- New advancements in technology can produce widespread social, cultural, and political change
- Events can have multiple outcomes and include unintended consequences
- Powerful nations' ability to control wealth and resources increases their ability to influence other nations
- Cultural exchanges can occur intentionally and unintentionally
- A civilization's success and growth is largely dependent on geographical location
- Culture is the product of shared economic, religious, and political values
- Regional characteristics can influence people's perspectives
- Compare and contrast early French and Dutch settlements. How were they unique and how were they similar?
- What reasons did the Dutch have for giving up control of their colony to the British? Evaluate their decision; was it the best course of action?
- How did the fur trade promote cultural exchange between the Native American and early European settlers?
- Overview: French and Dutch Settlement
- Visuals: French and Dutch Settlement (Visual)
- Outlines: Outline
- Lesson: Introduction
- Lesson: 1-The French
- Lesson: 2-The Dutch
- Lesson: 3-Relations with Native Americans
- Lesson: Closing
- Photos & Illustrations: Cartier, Jacques: exploring the St. Lawrence River
- Photos & Illustrations: Hudson, Henry: lands in North America
- Reference Articles: Dutch East India Company
- Reference Articles: Dutch Reformed Church
- Reference Articles: Fur Trade
- Reference Articles: Henry Hudson
- Biographies: Minuit, Peter
- Biographies: Hudson, Henry
- Letters & Narratives: de Champlain, Samuel: The Foundation of Quebec
- Letters & Narratives: Dutch Minister Describes the Iroquois
"French and Dutch Settlement." History Hub, ABC-CLIO, 2019, historyhub.abc-clio.com/Search/Display/2153058. Accessed 15 Sept. 2019.
Entry ID: 2153058