Post-Watergate Society, 1975-1989
Guide: Focus on the Environment
These resources explain factors that led to the modern day environmental movement. Use these resources to build your students' understanding of the factors that led to a new focus on the environment. Use the Export to My Lists button above to turn this into a research list for your students.
Time Period Key Understandings
- Historical events can shape political institutions
- Legislative policy changes are often a result of events that led to demands for change
- A nation's economic policy is tied closely to its foreign policy
- Popular sentiments often change from left to right and can be represented on a pendulum
- Conflicts resolution is not always intentional, conflicts can resolve naturally and over time
- A nation's foreign policy actions have legacies that impact future foreign policy
- A democratic nation's social and cultural norms and practices are likely to change
- What were some of the main events that led to an increase in concern for the environment?
- What actions did environmental activists take to have their concerns heard?
- How did the government respond to the environmental concerns of this time period?
- In what ways has the federal government responded to new environmental threats since the 1960s, and do you think it has been enough? Why or why not?
- Overview: Focus on the Environment
- Outline: Outline
- Lesson: Introduction
- Photos & Illustrations: Exxon Valdez cleanup debris
- Reference Articles: Exxon Valdez oil spill
- Reference Articles: Carson, Rachel: Silent Spring (1962)
- Reference Articles: energy crisis
- Reference Articles: environmental movement
- Reference Articles: Environmental Protection Agency
- Reference Articles: Love Canal Disaster
- Reference Articles: Santa Barbara oil spill
- Reference Articles: Three Mile Island accident
- Political, Government & Court Documents: Clean Air Act (1963) with amendments (1966 and 1990)
- Political, Government & Court Documents: Clean Water Act (1972) with amendments (1977)
- Political, Government & Court Documents: Endangered Species Act (1973)
- Political, Government & Court Documents: Energy Policy and Conservation Act (1975)
- Political, Government & Court Documents: National Environmental Policy Act (1969)
- Audio: Three Mile Island: news report
"Focus on the Environment." History Hub, ABC-CLIO, 2019, historyhub.abc-clio.com/Support/Display/2153100?cid=256. Accessed 6 Dec. 2019.
Entry ID: 2153100