Urban Life, 1860-1900
Guide: The Promised Land
These resources provide insight into American immigration in the 19th century. Use these resources to help students identify and explain the push and pull factors that led to an increase in immigration during this time period. Use the Export to My Lists button above to turn this into a research list for your students.
Time Period Key Understandings
- Opportunities have been extended to certain groups of Americans while denied to other groups.
- Social and economic changes due to technological advancement can have positive and negative effects.
- Wealth can be used to influence people and politics in positive and negative ways.
- Immigrants' decisions to leave their homeland are based on push and pull factors.
- Organizations and people can advocate for and obtain social change.
- Define push and pull factors. What are some example of push and pull factors?
- What is nativism? How did nativism affect the way immigrants were treated?
- Compare and contrast Ellis Island and Angel Island. How were they similar and how were they different?
- Overview: The Promised Land
- Visuals: The Promised Land, 1860-1900 (Visual)
- Outlines: Outline
- Transcripts: Transcript
- Lesson: Introduction
- Lesson: 1-Push Factors
- Lesson: 2-Pull Factors
- Lesson: 3-Gilded Age Nativism
- Lesson: 4-Ellis Island and Naturalization
- Lesson: Closing
- Investigate Activities: Chinese Exclusion Act
- Photos & Illustrations: Ellis Island in 1905
- Photos & Illustrations: Immigration: arrival in New York
- Photos & Illustrations: Statue of Liberty (historic)
- Reference Articles: Angel Island
- Reference Articles: Ellis Island
- Reference Articles: Immigration
- Reference Articles: Irish Potato Famine
- Reference Articles: Melting Pot
- Reference Articles: Nativism
- Political Cartoons, Posters & Document Images: Anti-Asian boycott flyer (1898)
- Political Cartoons, Posters & Document Images: Political cartoon: Chinese exclusion
- Political Cartoons, Posters & Document Images: Song manuscript: "No Irish Need Apply" (1862)
- Political, Government & Court Documents: Chinese Exclusion Act (1882)
- Political, Government & Court Documents: Oath of Allegiance to the United States of America
- Political, Government & Court Documents: Immigration Act (1924)
- Cultural Documents: Lazarus, Emma: "The New Colossus" (1883)
- Newspapers & Magazines: "The Chinese Panic" (1882)
"The Promised Land." History Hub, ABC-CLIO, 2019, historyhub.abc-clio.com/Support/Content/2153115?cid=256. Accessed 15 Oct. 2019.
Entry ID: 2153115