Elections and Voting
These resources focus on the role of ballots in U.S. voting systems, as well as how the use of ballots has developed over time. Use these resources to support students' understanding of the advantages and disadvantages—including recent election controversies—of using different types of ballots. Use the Export to My Lists button above to turn this into a research list for your students.
Theme Key Understandings
- A government's structure determines how political parties will form and operate
- Political parties strongly influence the operation of democratic governments
- Media, public opinion, and policy are interrelated in a democracy
- The type of media a public consumes influences their understanding of policy and government action
- Interest groups can be both an effective citizen tool for expression and, if too powerful, a threat to democracy
- Voting rules and regulations affect election outcomes
- Interpreting campaign contributions as free speech allows those with money greater access to lawmakers
- Explain how the election controversy of 2000 is a prime example of the need for ballot reform and universal voting practices in the United States.
- Do you think that e-voting should be an option? Why or why not?
- Would you support uniform national requirements for ballots and voting machines? Why or why not?
- Overview: Ballots
- Visuals: Ballots (Visual)
- Outline: Outline
- Transcript: Transcript
- Lesson: Introduction
- Lesson: 1-History of the Ballot
- Lesson: 2-Types of Ballots
- Lesson: 3-Ballot Controversy in the 2000 Elections
- Lesson: 4-Future of the Ballot
- Lesson: Closing
- Glossary Terms: butterfly ballot
- Glossary Terms: mechanical lever voting machine
- Photos & Illustrations: Election of 2000: controversy over manual recounts
- Photos & Illustrations: Voting: marking the ballot
- Reference Articles: Bush v. Gore (2000)
- Reference Articles: ballot format
- Reference Articles: direct recording electronic machines
- Reference Articles: Help America Vote Act
- Reference Articles: Voting Systems
- Reference Articles: Election of 2000
- Reference Articles: Absentee Ballots
- Political, Government & Court Documents: Bush v. Gore (2000)
- Political, Government & Court Documents: Help America Vote Act: Title III (2002)
"Ballots." History Hub, ABC-CLIO, 2019, historyhub.abc-clio.com/Search/Display/2156156. Accessed 23 Aug. 2019.
Entry ID: 2156156