Guide: The Federal Budget
This list offers an in-depth look at the federal budget and its central role in economic policymaking. Use the Export to My Lists button above to turn this into a research list for your students.
Theme Key Understandings
- Governments' approaches to regulation change over time based on domestic and global circumstances
- American domestic policies span a spectrum from a free-market approach to a highly regulatory approach
- A citizen's opinion on the need for regulation generally depends on his or her role in society
- Social and economic policies form the basis of domestic policy
- Through social policy, government officials can provide programs and services to maintain and improve citizen welfare
- Through economic policy, the government seeks to maintain stability for the national economy
- Foreign policies are influenced by the accepted doctrine of a time period, which is often shaped in reaction to world events
- The executive branch plays the leading role in directing foreign policy
- In what ways is the federal budget central to American economic policy?
- What is the difference between mandatory and discretionary spending? How does discretionary spending offer insight into our policy priorities?
- Overview: The Federal Budget
- Timelines: Tax Reform: Timeline
- Outlines: Outline
- Transcripts: Transcript
- Lesson: Introduction
- Lesson: 1-How the Budget is Created
- Lesson: 2-Politics of the Budget
- Lesson: 3-Congressional-Executive Relations in Budgeting
- Lesson: Closing
- Investigate Activities: The National Debt
- Glossary Terms: discretionary spending
- Glossary Terms: mandatory spending
- Photos & Illustrations: National debt clock
- Facts & Figures: Federal Government Income, 2008–2018
- Reference Articles: Federal Budget Process
- Reference Articles: Tax Revolt
- Reference Articles: Federal Budget Deficit
- Reference Articles: National Debt
"The Federal Budget." History Hub, ABC-CLIO, 2019, historyhub.abc-clio.com/Support/Content/2156127?cid=256. Accessed 6 Dec. 2019.
Entry ID: 2156127