Guide: Domestic Policy
From Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal to Lyndon Johnson's Great Society, this list provides an overview of major domestic policy goals and initiatives in U.S. history. Use the Export to My Lists button above to turn this into a research list for your students.
Theme Key Understandings
- Governments' approaches to regulation change over time based on domestic and global circumstances
- American domestic policies span a spectrum from a free-market approach to a highly regulatory approach
- A citizen's opinion on the need for regulation generally depends on his or her role in society
- Social and economic policies form the basis of domestic policy
- Through social policy, government officials can provide programs and services to maintain and improve citizen welfare
- Through economic policy, the government seeks to maintain stability for the national economy
- Foreign policies are influenced by the accepted doctrine of a time period, which is often shaped in reaction to world events
- The executive branch plays the leading role in directing foreign policy
- What are the primary goals of the U.S. government in regards to domestic policy? In what ways has the free market approach failed in addressing some of these goals over the history of the United States?
- Identify two key ways market regulation has shaped American domestic policy over the last century.
- Overview: Domestic Policy
- Outlines: Outline
- Transcripts: Transcript
- Lesson: Introduction
- Lesson: 1-Domestic Policy Overview
- Lesson: 2-Schools of Thought on Domestic Policy
- Lesson: 3-The Expanding Role of the Government
- Lesson: 4-Regulating Business and Industry
- Lesson: Closing
- Glossary Terms: general welfare clause
- Reference Articles: Antitrust Laws
- Reference Articles: Department of Health and Human Services
- Reference Articles: Fair Labor Standards Act
- Reference Articles: Great Society
- Reference Articles: New Deal
- Political Cartoons, Posters & Document Images: Social Security: poster advertises new system (1936)
- Political, Government & Court Documents: Sherman Antitrust Act (1890)
"Domestic Policy." History Hub, ABC-CLIO, 2019, historyhub.abc-clio.com/Support/Content/2156180?cid=256. Accessed 6 Dec. 2019.
Entry ID: 2156180