Guide: Three Branches
These resources help explain the structure of the three branches of the U.S. government. Use these resources to help students understand the purpose and duties of the legislative, executive, and judicial branches of government. Use the Export to My Lists button above to turn this into a research list for your students.
Theme Key Understandings
- Societies need government to promote harmony, reduce conflict, and increase economic productivity
- Governments come in many forms, including rule by one, rule by a few, and rule by many
- Philosophical thought often influences a society's form of government
- New political systems are shaped by emulating and opposing older systems of government
- Founding documents are a result of compromise and the direct experiences of those drafting them
- Democratic governments derive their power from the consent of the governed
- Protection of individual rights and liberties is central to American democracy
- Democratic governments strike a balance between majority rule and minority rights
- How would you describe the primary purpose of each of the three branches of American government?
- Which of these branches do you think is most misunderstood by the American people?
- Overview: Three Branches
- Visuals: Three Branches (Visual)
- Outline: Outline
- Transcript: Transcript
- Lesson: Introduction
- Lesson: 1-The Legislative Branch
- Lesson: 2-The Executive Branch
- Lesson: 3-The Judicial Branch
- Lesson: Closing
- Glossary Terms: executive branch
- Glossary Terms: judicial branch
- Glossary Terms: legislative branch
- Reference Articles: President
- Reference Articles: Supreme Court, U.S.
- Reference Articles: U.S. Congress
- Political, Government & Court Documents: Federalist, The, No. 47 (1788)
- Political, Government & Court Documents: Federalist, The, No. 48 (1788)
- Political, Government & Court Documents: Federalist, The, No. 49 (1788)
- Political, Government & Court Documents: Federalist, The, No. 50 (1788)
- Political, Government & Court Documents: Federalist, The, No. 51 (1788)
- Political, Government & Court Documents: U.S. Constitution (1787)
"Three Branches." History Hub, ABC-CLIO, 2020, historyhub.abc-clio.com/Support/Content/2156121?cid=256. Accessed 21 Jan. 2020.
Entry ID: 2156121