Principles of Government
Guide: What Is Democracy?
These resources demonstrate what it means for a government to be democratic. Use these resources to explain to students what a democracy is and why the Framers wanted the United States to have a democratic government. Use the Export to My Lists button above to turn this into a research list for your students.
Theme Key Understandings
- Societies need government to promote harmony, reduce conflict, and increase economic productivity
- Governments come in many forms, including rule by one, rule by a few, and rule by many
- Philosophical thought often influences a society's form of government
- New political systems are shaped by emulating and opposing older systems of government
- Founding documents are a result of compromise and the direct experiences of those drafting them
- Democratic governments derive their power from the consent of the governed
- Protection of individual rights and liberties is central to American democracy
- Democratic governments strike a balance between majority rule and minority rights
- Why were some of the classical societies drawn to democracy as a form of government?
- How did the founders blend that democracy of the Greeks with the Roman Republic?
- Overview: What Is Democracy?
- Visuals: What Is Democracy? (Visual)
- Outline: Outline
- Transcript: Transcript
- Lesson: Introduction
- Lesson: 1-Pure Democracy
- Lesson: 2-Representative Democracy
- Lesson: 3-Consent of the Governed
- Lesson: Closing
- Glossary Terms: direct democracy
- Photos & Illustrations: Athenian democracy: men vote to ostracize citizen
- Reference Articles: Athenian Democracy
- Reference Articles: Consent of the Governed: U.S. Government
- Reference Articles: Representative Democracy
- Reference Articles: Democracy: United States
- Reference Articles: Declaration of Independence
- Political, Government & Court Documents: Tocqueville, Alexis de: Democracy in America (1835)
- Political, Government & Court Documents: Declaration of Independence (1776), excerpt
- Political, Government & Court Documents: U.S. Constitution (1787)
"What Is Democracy?" History Hub, ABC-CLIO, 2020, historyhub.abc-clio.com/Support/Content/2156119?cid=256. Accessed 21 Jan. 2020.
Entry ID: 2156119