Story Guides The New Conservatives
These resources describe the factors that led to the emergence of the particular conservative political beliefs of the 1980s. Use these resources to support your students' inquiry into the conservatism of the 1980s. Use the Export to My Lists button above to turn this into a research list for your students.
- President Ronald Reagan's economic policy, also known as Reaganomics, was based on supply-side economic policy. What is the intention behind supply-side economic policy? What were some of the effects of Reagan's supply-side economic policy?
- What cuts did Reagan make to social welfare and entitlement programs? Do you think those cuts were justified? Why or why not?
- What was the Strategic Defense Initiative? How did the Strategic Defense Initiative impact the Cold War?
- What was the Iran Contra Scandal? How did the Iran Contra Scandal impact Reagan's administration?
- Overview: The New Conservatives
- Topic Center Overview: The Conservative Tide, 1980–1992
- Visuals: The New Conservatives (Visual)
- Outline: Outline
- Lesson: Introduction
- Photos & Illustrations: Reagan, Ronald: assassination attempt
- Photos & Illustrations: Reagan, Ronald: campaigning (1984)
- Reference Articles: Air Traffic Controllers Strike of 1981
- Reference Articles: Black Monday
- Reference Articles: federal budget deficit
- Reference Articles: Iran-contra scandal
- Reference Articles: Reagan Revolution
- Political, Government & Court Documents: Iran-contra scandal: Report of the Independent Counsel (1993)
- Speeches: Reagan, Ronald: Inaugural Address (1981)
- Speeches: Reagan, Ronald: Inaugural Address (1985)
- Video: Reagan, Ronald: Star Wars speech
"The New Conservatives." History Hub, ABC-CLIO, 2020, historyhub.abc-clio.com/Support/Display/2153103?cid=256. Accessed 20 Jan. 2020.
Entry ID: 2153103