The Close of the 20th Century, 1992-2000
Guide: The Clinton Years
These resources highlight the events and policies during President Bill Clinton's tenure. Use these resource to support your students' research into Clinton's time in office. Use the Export to My Lists button above to turn this into a research list for your students.
Time Period Key Understandings
- Historical events can shape political institutions
- Legislative policy changes are often a result of events that led to demands for change
- A nation's economic policy is tied closely to its foreign policy
- Popular sentiments often change from left to right and can be represented on a pendulum
- Conflicts resolution is not always intentional, conflicts can resolve naturally and over time
- A nation's foreign policy actions have legacies that impact future foreign policy
- A democratic nation's social and cultural norms and practices are likely to change
- What were President Bill Clinton's early economic policy plans? How successful was the economy under Clinton? Do you think his success was a result of his policies?
- What was Clinton's healthcare plan? What challenges did he encounter to his plans?
- What was Newt Gingrich's Contract with America? How successful was he in creating public support for his plan and opposition to Clinton's policies?
- Describe the events in the Balkans in the mid 1990s. How did Clinton and the international community respond to these events?
- How did Clinton's policies and political leanings change upon his reelection?
- Overview: The Clinton Years
- Topic Center Overview: The Close of the 20th Century, 1992–2000
- Outline: Outline
- Lesson: Introduction
- Photos & Illustrations: Clinton, Bill: signs the NAFTA Agreement
- Photos & Illustrations: Gingrich, Newt: speaks at Contract with America rally
- Photos & Illustrations: Oklahoma City bombing disaster
- Photos & Illustrations: U.S. Intervention in Somalia, 1991-1994
- Reference Articles: Election of 1992
- Reference Articles: election of 1996
- Reference Articles: Oklahoma City bombing
- Reference Articles: Reform Party
- Reference Articles: Somalia, U.S. intervention in
- Reference Articles: U.S. Embassy bombings
- Political, Government & Court Documents: Affirmative Action Report (1995)
- Political, Government & Court Documents: Contract with America (1994)
- Political, Government & Court Documents: Dayton Agreement (1995)
- Political, Government & Court Documents: North American Free Trade Agreement: Preamble and Objectives (1993)
- Political, Government & Court Documents: Reform Party: Founding Principles (1997)
- Maps: Election map 1992
- Maps: Election map 1996
"The Clinton Years." History Hub, ABC-CLIO, 2019, historyhub.abc-clio.com/Search/Display/2153106. Accessed 25 Aug. 2019.
Entry ID: 2153106