The West, 1850-1900
Guide: Homestead Act
These resources on the Homestead Act provide insight into how the act helped to develop the West. Use these resources to develop your students' understanding of how the Homestead Act affected westward expansion. Use the Export to My Lists button above to turn this into a research list for your students.
Time Period Key Understandings
- Opportunities have been extended to certain groups of Americans while denied to other groups.
- Social and economic changes due to technological advancement can have positive and negative effects.
- Wealth can be used to influence people and politics in positive and negative ways.
- Immigrants' decisions to leave their homeland are based on push and pull factors.
- Organizations and people can advocate for and obtain social change.
- What was the Homestead Act? How did it impact Native Americans?
- Who were the Exodusters? How were their experiences different than those of white settlers?
- What challenges and opportunities did the various groups of people face during westward expansion?
- Overview: Homestead Act
- Visuals: Homestead Act (Visual)
- Outlines: Outline
- Transcripts: Transcript
- Lesson: Introduction
- Lesson: 1-Politics of the Bill
- Lesson: 2-Farming on the Great Plains
- Lesson: 3-Daily Life on the Great Plains
- Lesson: Closing
- Investigate Activities: My Ántonia
- Photos & Illustrations: Overland Trail stagecoach
- Reference Articles: American settlers in the Pacific Northwest
- Reference Articles: California Gold Rush
- Reference Articles: Chinese Immigrants
- Reference Articles: Exodusters
- Reference Articles: Granger movement
- Reference Articles: West, The, 1850–1900
- Reference Articles: Oklahoma land rush
- Political Cartoons, Posters & Document Images: Homestead Act: advertisement
- Political, Government & Court Documents: Chinese Exclusion Act (1882)
- Political, Government & Court Documents: Homestead Act (1862)
- Political, Government & Court Documents: Kansas-Nebraska Act (1854)
- Political, Government & Court Documents: Morrill Act (1862)
- Maps: Westward Migration, 1830-1848
- Maps: Transcontinental Railroads, 1900
"Homestead Act." History Hub, ABC-CLIO, 2019, historyhub.abc-clio.com/Support/Content/2153109?cid=256. Accessed 15 Oct. 2019.
Entry ID: 2153109