The Rise of American Industry, 1850-1900
These resources highlight new inventions and technology. Use these resources to help students identify the causes and effects of new inventions during the 19th century. Use the Export to My Lists button above to turn this into a research list for your students.
Time Period Key Understandings
- Opportunities have been extended to certain groups of Americans while denied to other groups.
- Social and economic changes due to technological advancement can have positive and negative effects.
- Wealth can be used to influence people and politics in positive and negative ways.
- Immigrants' decisions to leave their homeland are based on push and pull factors.
- Organizations and people can advocate for and obtain social change.
- What was the Bessemer process? How did the increased production of steal affect transportation and travel in the United States?
- What types of technology changed how people worked in factories and farms? How did new technology during this era affect the way people communicate?
- How did advancements in technology and industry lead to urban life? Evaluate the effects of industrialization on cities; were the effects mostly positive or negative?
- Overview: Invention
- Visuals: Invention (Visual)
- Outlines: Outline
- Transcripts: Transcript
- Lesson: Introduction
- Lesson: 1-The Steel Revolution
- Lesson: 2-The Technology Revolution
- Lesson: 3-Life in the City of Invention
- Lesson: Closing
- Photos & Illustrations: Bell, Alexander Graham: design of the telephone
- Photos & Illustrations: Electric lighting, early urban
- Photos & Illustrations: Telegraph: Western Union office
- Photos & Illustrations: Edison power plant
- Photos & Illustrations: Linotype
- Photos & Illustrations: Telephone, first
- Photos & Illustrations: Typewriter
- Reference Articles: Communication Revolution of the 19th Century
- Reference Articles: Transportation Revolution of the 19th Century
- Reference Articles: Rise of American Industry, 1850–1900
- Reference Articles: American Telephone & Telegraph Company
- Reference Articles: Industrial Revolution
- Political Cartoons, Posters & Document Images: Edison Vitascope
- Political Cartoons, Posters & Document Images: Edison, Thomas: in ad for phonograph
"Invention." History Hub, ABC-CLIO, 2019, historyhub.abc-clio.com/Support/Content/2153112?cid=256. Accessed 15 Oct. 2019.
Entry ID: 2153112