Guide: State Election Systems
This list provides an overview of the major issues surrounding state election systems, including electronic ballots, voter registration, and voter ID laws. The importance of state-level election procedures is explored through historical examples, from the civil rights era to the 2000 presidential election. Use the Export to My Lists button above to turn this into a research list for your students.
Theme Key Understandings
- Local governments play a critical role in citizens' everyday lives, providing services such as police and fire protection, utilities, and education
- The size and organization of a local government impacts the way it functions
- State government structures resemble that of the federal government with responsibilities and powers split between three branches: legislative, executive, and judicial
- State governments both share some responsibilities with the federal government and have some separate areas of responsibility
- The resources of a community impact its government's policies and effectiveness
- States often serve as laboratories for government policy at the national level
- States' election policies directly impact political outcomes at all levels of government
- How do differences in state election procedures impact policy decisions at both the federal and state levels?
- What are some of the major historical reforms that have been made to the voting process?
- Evaluate the likelihood of standardized voting procedures being implemented across the United States and explain your reasoning.
- Overview: State Election Systems
- Outline: Outline
- Transcript: Transcript
- Lesson: Introduction
- Lesson: 1-State and Federal Elections
- Lesson: 2-Voting Technology
- Lesson: 3-Voter Fraud and Discrimination
- Lesson: Closing
- Photos & Illustrations: Election of 2000: Bush and Gore supporters at Supreme Court
- Photos & Illustrations: Election of 2000: Florida butterfly ballot
- Facts & Figures: Help America Vote Act (2002): Provisions
- Reference Articles: Help America Vote Act
- Reference Articles: Voting Systems
- Reference Articles: Voter Identification
- Reference Articles: Voting Rights
- Political, Government & Court Documents: Allen v. State Board of Elections (1969)
- Political, Government & Court Documents: Voting Rights Act (1965)
"State Election Systems." History Hub, ABC-CLIO, 2019, historyhub.abc-clio.com/Search/Display/2156172. Accessed 17 Feb. 2019.
Entry ID: 2156172