Guide: State Bureaucracy
Use these resources to explore the inner workings of state government. Articles and documents outline some of the most important functions of state government, from organizing elections to levying taxes. Use the Export to My Lists button above to turn this into a research list for your students.
Theme Key Understandings
- Local governments play a critical role in citizens' everyday lives, providing services such as police and fire protection, utilities, and education
- The size and organization of a local government impacts the way it functions
- State government structures resemble that of the federal government with responsibilities and powers split between three branches: legislative, executive, and judicial
- State governments both share some responsibilities with the federal government and have some separate areas of responsibility
- The resources of a community impact its government's policies and effectiveness
- States often serve as laboratories for government policy at the national level
- States' election policies directly impact political outcomes at all levels of government
- How can the selection process for high-ranking bureaucrats interfere with a governor's ability to influence public policy in some states?
- Discuss three ways states raise money through taxation.
- Why would states use different models to raise revenue for their states? How can these differences in revenue lead to differences in policy?
- Overview: State Bureaucracy
- Outline: Outline
- Transcript: Transcript
- Lesson: Introduction
- Lesson: 1-Responsibilities of State Bureaucracy
- Lesson: 2-State Spending
- Lesson: 3-State Revenue
- Lesson: 4-Growth and Reform
- Lesson: Closing
- Glossary Terms: property tax
- Glossary Terms: sales tax
- Photos & Illustrations: California state budget revenue presentation
- Photos & Illustrations: Sin tax: liquor store
- Facts & Figures: Sources of State Government Revenue, 2014
- Reference Articles: State Officials
- Reference Articles: State Treasurer
- Political, Government & Court Documents: Proposition 13 (California, 1978)
"State Bureaucracy." History Hub, ABC-CLIO, 2019, historyhub.abc-clio.com/Search/Display/2156171. Accessed 17 Feb. 2019.
Entry ID: 2156171