Guide: Federal-State Relations
The system of federalism is explored in this collection of articles and resources. Court cases and statistics illustrate the delicate balance of power between the federal government and the states, and how that balance has shifted since the founding of the United States. Use the Export to My Lists button above to turn this into a research list for your students.
Theme Key Understandings
- Local governments play a critical role in citizens' everyday lives, providing services such as police and fire protection, utilities, and education
- The size and organization of a local government impacts the way it functions
- State government structures resemble that of the federal government with responsibilities and powers split between three branches: legislative, executive, and judicial
- State governments both share some responsibilities with the federal government and have some separate areas of responsibility
- The resources of a community impact its government's policies and effectiveness
- States often serve as laboratories for government policy at the national level
- States' election policies directly impact political outcomes at all levels of government
- What key provisions in the constitution lay out the relationship between the federal and state governments?
- How does the federal government use funding grants to states as a way to try and shape state government policy?
- Overview: Federal-State Relations
- Outline: Outline
- Transcript: Transcript
- Lesson: Introduction
- Lesson: 1-The Tenth Amendment
- Lesson: 2-State Lobbying for Federal Funds
- Lesson: Closing
- Glossary Terms: commerce clause
- Glossary Terms: supremacy clause
- Photos & Illustrations: Sanctuary cities: immigration detainee in jail
- Photos & Illustrations: Wallace, George: attempts to block integration
- Facts & Figures: Powers of Federal and State Governments
- Facts & Figures: Sources of State Government Revenue, 2014
- Reference Articles: Block Grants
- Reference Articles: Necessary and Proper Clause
- Reference Articles: Federalism
- Political, Government & Court Documents: U.S. v. State of Arizona (2010): Department of Justice complaint
- Political, Government & Court Documents: Brewer, Jan: Statement on federal lawsuit challenging Arizona SB 1070
- Political, Government & Court Documents: Tenth Amendment (ratified 1792)
"Federal-State Relations." History Hub, ABC-CLIO, 2019, historyhub.abc-clio.com/Search/Display/2156168. Accessed 17 Feb. 2019.
Entry ID: 2156168