Story Guides LGBT Rights
These resources explain the history of LGBT struggle for rights. Use these resources to support your students' understanding of the history of the LGBT community. Use the Export to My Lists button above to turn this into a research list for your students.
- What happened at the Stonewall uprising of 1969? What was the effect of this event on the LGBT community?
- Who was Harvey Milk? What happened to Harvey Milk and how was this significant to the LGBT community?
- What criticism did President Ronald Reagan face regarding AIDS and the LGBT community?
- What acts did President Bill Clinton pass relating to the LGBT community? Evaluate each act's purpose; were they justified? Why or why not?
- The U.S. Supreme Court's decision in Obergefell v. Hodges (2015) effectively made same-sex marriage legal across the United States. What did the court base its ruling on? Do you agree with the ruling? Why or why not?
- In the decade leading up to the Obergefell ruling, support for same-sex marriage among the public significantly increased. Why do you think this is the case?
- Overview: LGBT Rights
- Outline: Outline
- Lesson: Introduction
- Glossary Terms: civil union
- Glossary Terms: domestic partnership
- Glossary Terms: Proposition 8
- Photos & Illustrations: Same-sex marriage: protesters demonstrate against California's Proposition 8
- Photos & Illustrations: Stonewall Riots veterans
- Reference Articles: Gay Rights Movement
- Reference Articles: Same-Sex Marriage
- Reference Articles: Stonewall riots
- Political, Government & Court Documents: Obergefell v. Hodges (2015)
- Political, Government & Court Documents: United States v. Windsor (2013)
"Lgbt Rights." History Hub, ABC-CLIO, 2020, historyhub.abc-clio.com/Support/Display/2151806?cid=256. Accessed 20 Jan. 2020.
Entry ID: 2151806